Saturday, August 25, 2012

AFK, BRB.

As I write this, I am sitting in an internet cafe in the small town of Donghae, South Korea. Today is the last day I will spend in this country, a culmination of two years of teaching English, being immersed in a foreign culture, and one of the best experiences of my life. So far.

Tomorrow, my friend and I will board a ferry bound for Vladivostok, Russia, taking our first steps on what I hope is a pretty epic journey. My internet time during this trip will be pretty scant, and there is a good chance that this blog will see very little activity in the way of updates for the next month and a half.

Our travels will take us to Lake Baikal, Irkutsk, Moscow, and St. Petersberg. From there, we will make our way across Europe, traveling through Belarus, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and France. Taking a ferry across the Channel, we will see the white cliffs of Dover before moving on to London. From London, I will fly back home to Canada, with a brief stop in Reykjavik, Iceland. Because, well, why not?

As I said, internet access might not feature much in this trip. Nevertheless, I hope to be able to provide reviews of the three new releases that will come out during this period, provided I am able to easily download them onto my ereader. With any luck, look forward to reviews of Kirsten Beyer's Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide (August 28), Una McCormack's Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship (September 25), and the ebook release of Dayton Ward's Vanguard: In Tempest's Wake (October 2). Besides that, this site will be fairly quiet. Rest assured, at the end of this long journey, I will have quite a few books to catch up on. The current plan is to arrive home on October 9th. Wish me luck!

Live long and prosper, always!
- Dan Gunther

1 comment:

  1. Have a safe trip. Hope you have fun.

    When you get to St Petersburg I'd recommend going to Cafe Idiot that is a Cafe/Restaurant/Bar inspired by Dostoevsky. When I was in St Petersburg about 10 years ago, it became my favourite restaurant and I wen there almost every day. It's a bit hard to find as it has no large sings on the window, only a very small text on the door.

    -Joakim

    ReplyDelete